In Stitches

Monday, February 27, 2006

Curiouser and...

Well not "Curiouser"... LOL You shall see what I mean by that a bit later. ;)

First an update on the "flood". :D The maintenance men came by and were quite nice about the whole thing. They realized that some damage had been done to the ceiling so they came back Friday and scraped off the acoustic material (affectionately known to us as "popcorn ceiling") and repaired the ceiling and then re-sprayed popcorn on it. You'd never know that it was damaged. Hurrah! I just hope that whatever they were up to on the second floor never repeats. Cuz it was icky. :) And yes Jesse was our hero until she had her next "hairball incident". But we won't discuss that. ;)

I worked on Alice this weekend, I finally made it through most of the small bits (for now) and got to the section "Curiouser and Curiouser", except I only got the first "Curiouser" done. (giggle) At this point I figure I am about half way through the project. It's going fast, but it's hard to say how long it will be till the finish line. You just never know when some difficult bit will pop up. :) If you notice in the bottom left you can now see Alice's eye. I love the effect of this so subtle...everything just flows together. :D The best part is that I really enjoy working on it and it just never gets old.

I did some shopping this weekend and I went through the sale bins at my LNS. Found some fun patterns and got these bags of Eterna stranded silks. They were half off their normal price of .66 cents (US), so I got them for .33 cents a skein. It ended up being a total 60 skeins (5 bags of 12) and for that price I thought it was a huge bargain. I haven't stitched with silks yet, but I hear they are so nice to use. I thought that I could substitute these in some future projects for a fun look. It's nice to be able to try something different for not a lot of money. :D

In other news... I added a counter to my blog, mostly out of curiousity. It is fun to see just how many people are actually looking at my blog. It's amazing how many people come by but never comment. I find that comments are very encouraging and make posting so much more fun, so if you have a blog that you read but rarely comment on, I challenge you to stop and leave a little note. It will mean so much to the blog owner. :D

Happy stitching!

12 comment(s):

Alice is coming along beautifully! Glad to hear the damage has been repaired. Great stash you got there. Any ideas on where to get free counters? I lost track of them when the one I had while attempting a webpage went from free to pay us.

By Blogger Bastet, at 2/27/2006 5:44 PM  

I love the colours of your thread!:) so bright and rich...

By Blogger Cindy, at 2/27/2006 6:49 PM  

Alice is really growing well... WTG Kim!

By Blogger Sasha Farina, at 2/27/2006 8:29 PM  

thank you kim for the comment! I have been reading your blog for a l-o-n-g time! I love your Alice in Wonderland piece! very cute, and you are coming a long nicely with it! I know what you mean about how many people hit your blog but you never know it! I was amazed when i got a counter on mine, and realized that up to even 100 people a day were coming by! I'm with you...leave a comment! Let me know you're there! =)
Happy Stitching!
~Lana~

By Blogger Lana, at 2/27/2006 10:04 PM  

Hi Kim - Curiouser is filling in nicely and getting more and more interesting. :D
Awesome floss deal!! Who could resist those at that price - certainly not me!

By Blogger Von, at 2/28/2006 12:55 AM  

Flood: glad to read it's all over now! That was fast!
Alice: I hadn't noticed her eye! Thanks for showing all the details. It's an awesome project!
Threads: I'm thinking of moving to Lincoln, Nebraska... I love working with special threads! Silk is a real pleasure to stitch, you just need to let it detangle more often than DMC cotton.
That counter thing is in my mind as well, but I am hesitating. For some strange reason, I am reluctant to "watch" people read my blog. This is stupid, don't ask... And what I've just read here might help me decide...
Now, I'm off to Greg's blog for the fifth time (!) in three days to comment: something always happens at that moment. Hope the phone doesn't ring now or stg...
Lots of hugs!

By Blogger Leeland, at 2/28/2006 2:24 AM  

glad to hear the damage had been fixed.Alice is looking good,it looks like a well designed chart - good shading.
The silks sound like a bargain,pretty colours too from what I can see.

By Blogger Shell, at 2/28/2006 5:07 AM  

Alice is coming along nicely! Congrats to your silks bargain :), the colours look lovely!

By Blogger Svenja, at 2/28/2006 12:37 PM  

We've been up to the same things this weekend, it seems: dealing with mishaps around the house, stitching fun projects, buying/ordering silks, and pondering our Blogger counter. I, too, was amazed to see about a hundred people dropping by each day without me noticing it. Since then, I've been trying to leave more comments. I do love comments...

By Blogger Annemarie, at 2/28/2006 1:50 PM  

You must be relieved to have the ceiling back to normal. Alice is looking great! And what a fabulous deal on those silks! I haven't used that particular brand, but I like most of the high-end silks. I hope you get to enjoy working with it soon! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/28/2006 6:02 PM  

Kim,

I am jealous! I love the Eterna stranded silks, and you did get a bargain.

Just a word of warning though. These silks, the stranded or flat silk, can be tricky to work with, the thread catches on everything, even slightly dry skin.

Having said that, the shine you get from these is worth the extra work.

Cheers,
Laren (in Australia)

By Blogger Laren, at 2/28/2006 7:47 PM  

Happy stitching Kim. Ann.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/02/2006 6:38 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home