In Stitches

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

"'Oh my ears and whiskers, how late it's getting!'"

"Is it Tuesday already?" She asked. "Why yes it is!" She answered herself back. "What's gone and happened to Monday?" She inquired. "It's faded away, like the stars in the morning sky." She replied sadly, a little tear in one eye.

Alright, I confess to reading too much of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. It's amazing how quickly they can effect one's brain patterns. ;) LOL

Yesterday was Presidents Day and though I didn't "officially" have it off I took it as vacation. It was a nice relaxing day...I watched Elizabethtown and didn't get much stitching done. Poor Greg has caught my cold and is now quite sick. I'm better but still with a bit lingering on. It's a particularly nasty cold.

Last night (about 1:30 a.m.) I was woke up by the cat screeching and hopping about in front of the main bathroom. It freaked me out so I got up and turned on the light and there was water pouring from the bathroom ceiling, flooding the bathroom. Many towels and some frantic calls later, we found out that the tenants in the apartment above us had their toilet run over and the excess was draining down through the heater and air vents into *our* bathroom. It's a good thing I was woken up or we would've had a frightful mess. Now, because of the water the acoustic material that's on the ceiling is falling off and the maintenance people will have to come and replace it. I wonder if Jesse would be as good of an alarm during a fire? (Let us hope we never find out.) ;)

I made good progress on my project over the weekend, but slowed down on Sunday and Monday. This recent section is a lot of tiny bits of color so it's taking longer. I'm still happy with the overall appearance and really love all the purple in this. :D

Image hosting by Photobucket

Still not sure about the beads and many thanks to Jenna for the clarification on matting versus spacers. I hadn't even heard of these plastic spacers before, so thanks Jenna for the insight! I did find some Kreinik threads that match the beads. I will probably just go with the thread so that I don't have to worry about making the frame work with spacers or mats, because the frame really isn't deep enough to accommodate these options. :D

Thanks again for all the comments and helpful hints! Hope y'all have a great rest of the week!

18 comment(s):

I had that happened to me before with the water draining in the bathroom from upstair. It was an awful mess!

By Blogger Lnanaa, at 2/21/2006 11:03 AM  

I've had constant leaks for years due to the negligence of the upstairs neighbors. (has ended with the current) They wouldn't watch their washing maching (only one allowed and grandfathered to boot) Every wash it'd overflow and down next to mone of my bookcases of old time cookbooks. The Amish type, How the Dames of Salem cooked 18 something and some others and usually our clean laundry that was brought up earlier. Talk about replacement ceiling tiles! We won't even touch what happened to the hallway outside my apartment door during the times they let her children "swim" in the tub. I mean no offense to people, but these two children were 10 and 14 years old and not small in any sense of the word. Again I'm not trying to sound mean/biased etc just trying to find a polite way of describing the situation.
Okay, back to pleasant things..the progress is going well. Can't wait for another update.

By Blogger Bastet, at 2/21/2006 2:59 PM  

Warning another long comment....
the cat situation....a friend of mine's brothers and uncle (they still keep the family house) got two 5 month old kittens. About a week or two after they'd settled in, One brother was woken suddenly from a sound sleep by being bitten on the toes by one kitten and his ankles swiped with full claw extension. She'd never done it before. The house was full of smoke. The furnace had dried up. If the kitten hadn't woken him up all three humans and two kittens would've died of carbon minoixide poisoning before the smoke got to them. Good thing she had the idea that the family was in trouble. Mine scream at doors because they want to see humans, the water dish is making horrid noises (I have the electic one that curculates the water) or has run dry, give me food now whether or not they'd been fed for the day. Or in my case that I snuck out the back way from the bathroom when I'd only been there 30 seconds. (there is no way but the door out but try explaining that to mamas' boy) I know I can't count on mine for anything heroic. They'd be more apt to accuse me of neglect. Their version not the human defination. They actually get a bit spoiled and they've finally gotten daddy to start spoiling them a bit like mommy does.

By Blogger Bastet, at 2/21/2006 3:09 PM  

Ahhhh... the joy of upstairs neighbors. We had a problem with downstairs neighbors who used to smoke like chimneys (they might have even been smoking cigars) and it would waft up into our apartment. With the two of us allergic to smoke and the maintenance staff completely unresponsive, we ended up having to move. Between that and noise problems, I'm not a big fan of neighbors... ;)

I'm glad that your cat is so perceptive! BTW, Alice is looking great!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/21/2006 4:24 PM  

eeeww... what an awful situation to wake up to!!

By Blogger Sasha Farina, at 2/21/2006 7:55 PM  

Hope you have your bathroom all recovered quite soon. About the beads...why not leave out the glass in your frame? And keep the beads? Ann.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/22/2006 4:45 AM  

Hi Kim,

Just wanted to thank you for your warm welcome. I will add you blog link to my Blog and look forward to getting to know you:)

By Blogger Karen's Blog, at 2/22/2006 5:12 AM  

Wonderful comments about cats! Yummy! Your Jesse is exceptional!
What a wonderful post, too, starting with a few words from Alice in Wonderland, my favourite "fairy tale"! And your progress on this project is such a pleasure for the eyes!
Keep on treating us, Kim! Thanks a lot for sharing!
Hope Greg recovers soon, and you too.
Lots of hugs!

By Blogger Leeland, at 2/22/2006 6:31 AM  

I hope you are all cleaned up now, it is quite handy that you have an alert cat! bless!

By Blogger Unknown, at 2/22/2006 7:55 AM  

Alice's Wonderland is looking lovely! That cat of yours is mighty clever. I bet you pampered him the next day!

By Blogger Annemarie, at 2/22/2006 10:02 AM  

I am so sorry to hear about your bathroom leak. I really, really, like your Alice stitching, in fact I would love to do the chart myself its so good - I love unusual quirky designs - it will be stunning when you have finished it! I hope it is an enjoyable one to stitch despite lots of colour changes - sometimes it can be a bit of a pain, but if you are enjoying seeing the design come to life, then it can also be great fun and fascinating.

By Blogger Alison, at 2/22/2006 10:12 AM  

Oh, how I hate water messes!! Ours happen in the basement, but much less of a problem now that we are on the city sewer system. Now and then a rain storm will dump water into a window well. We keep the wet/dry vacuum handy! :D

By Blogger Von, at 2/22/2006 2:18 PM  

i love your alice project that is so unique, sorry to hear about your bathroom leak, hope it all gets sorted out, i hate any stuff like that good job your craft stuff wasnt anywhere near!, take care

By Blogger siouxsiesweets, at 2/23/2006 3:59 AM  

I had a similar instance my neighbors (upstair ones, too!) let their tub run over with water. We had left but had to come back to the apt for something and when I walked in I heard a funny noise. My bathroom was a flood zone!
My husband said I looked like a bird trying to fly when I came running out of the apt to get him to help me.

By Blogger Dawn T., at 2/23/2006 7:34 AM  

Alice in Wonderland looks wonderful!!

By Blogger Carol, at 2/23/2006 5:54 PM  

Now that I'm seeing this stitch up I'm really loving this piece, keep up the good work, i can't wait to see it finished :)

There definitely is a nasty cold going around these days! Glad you're feeling better.

By Blogger Unknown, at 2/24/2006 8:47 AM  

You are going great guns on Alice in Wonderland. Sorry to hear about your flooding, what a terrible nuisance for you. Hope it's all fixed up for you soon.

By Blogger Rowyn, at 2/24/2006 7:50 PM  

hope you have been able to sort it out,what a pain.
The Alice project is looking good,I bet it is an interesting project,lots of colours and different parts to work on.

By Blogger Shell, at 2/25/2006 11:15 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home