In Stitches

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Missing in Action

That's what the dvd "Lord of War" was when I returned it last night. I happily returned the dvd's I rented a day early. Later I get a call telling me that "Lord of War" didn't have the dvd in the case. Did I ever feel S-T-U-P-I-D. The guy just laughed and said "well it's not due till tomorrow." I am convinced that I am getting a case of early on-set senility....or as my dad calls it CRS - "Can't Remember S---". LOL This is the first time that I have done something like that, but I have horror stories from my mom. My favorite - one night she was cooking a meatloaf and went to check the oven and couldn't find the meatloaf. It was in the refrigerator, where she had put it thinking she was putting it in the oven....hard to cook a meatloaf in the fridge. I think I'm going to go buy some Gingko-Biloba. LOL, LOL

Over on Greg's blog, he mentioned that he stitches his patterns by color. In other words, he starts with one color stitches all the stitches that are in the pattern of that color and then moves to the next color in the list and repeats until he is finished. In a comment, LiliAsked "What about Kim? How does she organize her stitching then? I like to see how other stitchers do, I have found it very helpful more than once!"

My answer is that I personally find this odd and it's not the way I work. I work the pattern from the center out, so that it's centered on my fabric. I work sections fairly close together and switch colors as I complete each block of color in that section (obviously it depends on how big the project is). I find that if I try to count away and stitch all the color that inevitably I will miscount and make a mistake, even on small projects.

So what about all of you, do you stitch by color or what? Both Lili and I are curious! :D

I got some more of my project done, so here's another update. It's looking good so far and the letters are getting done quickly, but I'm not looking forward to the backstitching of the vines. Although I do think that the vines will really add a lot to the piece. I've never been a big backstitching fan. :)

Well it's Wednesday, half way through! Sadly I hear that winter is coming back, it's supposed to get cold and stay that way this weekend. I'm not surprised, it is February after all. But I saw on the news this morning that the cherry blossoms are out in Washington, DC already. Poor things are all confused. ;)

7 comment(s):

I have done lots of silly things like that,more than once put naan bread in the oven to keep warm whilst serving up Indian food,started eating and forgot all about it until I can smell something burning.
I am sure I would miss count if I stitched all of one colour at a time.On bigger projects I find I jump about all over,get bored of one part and move to another and then have to go back to put in all the missed stitches - hope that makes sense.

By Blogger Shell, at 2/01/2006 3:03 PM  

Hi! I group it, like you do. I've tried doing it by color because I read someplace that was the right way to do it, but I always miscount at some point. I guess if you grid your fabric out first, that won't happen, but if I spent so much time in preparation, I'd lose interest before I ever put the first stitch in!

By Blogger mainely stitching, at 2/01/2006 3:03 PM  

i stitch like you Kim. I try to avoid counting over a lot of gaps..

By Blogger Sasha Farina, at 2/02/2006 4:11 AM  

I don't stitch by colour at all. Sometimes if I have to stitch a large part in one colour I actually get bored with it and do some stitches in another colour before I have finished the part in the first colour.

By Blogger Svenja, at 2/02/2006 7:53 AM  

Well, yes, counting is tricy. I start with the counting: I start in the centre, than count towards the upper righthand corner, where I always start my stitching. I follow the chart as I go along, so I stitch each colour as it comes my way, basically.
It's nice to read about all these different techniques!

By Blogger Annemarie, at 2/02/2006 3:03 PM  

When my Dad was in care we learned another term from the staff. "Craft" ...can't remember a f------g thing. We're all in the same boat. Enjoy looking at your blog.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/02/2006 6:40 PM  

Stupid things...put me on the list. My most famous is the I'll put this somewhere safe...never to be seen again. I've put my cup of tea in the cupboard to reheat, also tried this technique with the fridge doesn't work. Neither does putting something in the oven (or on the stove,micro etc)and not turn it on.
As for stitching, I usually try to find the middle or something close to it. Work that colour upwards (depends on where the mos colour is, if there isn't much upwards I may head down depends on how the pattern is set up page wise) as far as I can and then go to another colour that branches off the middle or there abouts, then try to find my edges. Sometimes colour sickness turns up (got some with a few WIPS now). I think I made sense in there, not sure...

By Blogger Bastet, at 2/02/2006 10:04 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home