In Stitches

Monday, April 24, 2006

If You Don't Know Where You Are Going,

Any Road Will Take You There. - Alice in Wonderland

This quote is the last one for the Alice project and it is so true. When I first bought the Alice pattern all I knew was that I *loved* it and wanted to stitch it...some day. Then as I discussed it with Greg I knew that I would like to have a certain type of frame for it, make it really special. So he designed the "A" frame for me and I loved it. But I still wasn't sure how I would finish it or if I would "ever" stitch Alice. I finally get around to stitching Alice and I think I know just what I want for the frame, but after much contemplation I realize that I don't want people to pay more attention to the frame than the picture so I re-think my plan. And after a little bit of fiddling and some searching for the right bits and pieces it's all done and Alice is framed. It's not exactly what I thought I would end up with but I think it is perfect just the same.

Image hosting by Photobucket


I decided to mimic the swirl of Mock Turtle tears in the stitching on the frame to give it a splash of color. Below is a close up of the embellishments.















I found these tiny little keys and decided that they would be the perfect thing to add to the frame along with the "Mock Turtle tears" (aka jewels). I tried to mimic the swirl that is in the pattern and I think it came out very well. The frame is actually a dark blue purple.

All in all it turned out fantastic and already has a place of honor on the wall.

In other news I am nearly done with the backstitching of the High Wheeler and will show a new picture of it when I'm finished. We even found a great frame for it as well. So this weekend was quite productive, as well as warm and beautiful!

Hope everyone's week is starting out great!

14 comment(s):

LOVE it! Great job on the frame. The whole piece just looks fabulous. Congrats!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/24/2006 3:35 PM  

Kim, this is an absolute stunner! Not only the design and stitching, but the framing not only does NOT take away from the design, but it makes it such a unique package, you have a masterpiece!

By Blogger Nancy in IL, at 4/24/2006 4:43 PM  

All I can say is double WOW for the stitching and the frame to go with it. You should contact Lynn and show her this. I know she'll be thrilled to see your version. She's a great lady. Maria S.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/24/2006 5:35 PM  

Kim, it's brilliant! Fantastic! :D

Have a great week :)

By Blogger Kitty Couture, at 4/25/2006 1:54 AM  

you're totally right: it's just perfect. how did you come up with such a great finishing idea! it's very creative and just gorgeous.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/25/2006 4:40 AM  

Oh, this is so utterly perfect! Wow! It's a masterpiece!

By Blogger mainely stitching, at 4/25/2006 6:09 AM  

Your Greg actually designed this frame? That is amazing! I was going to say it seems to have been made for Alice, but hey, so it was! Great job, both of you!

By Blogger Annemarie, at 4/25/2006 7:09 AM  

The framing (and stitching) on Alice is absolutely amazing! Congrats on a beautiful finish!!

By Blogger Erin, at 4/25/2006 9:22 AM  

What cool finishing! Nice job, Kim!

By Blogger Schokti, at 4/25/2006 12:52 PM  

ohhh... thats lovely! well done :)

By Blogger Sasha Farina, at 4/25/2006 9:30 PM  

Thats beautiful Kim :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/25/2006 11:45 PM  

Wowowowowow! It looks fantastic - the frame is gorgeous & fits the piece so well - huge congratulations :o)

By Blogger Samantha, at 4/26/2006 1:24 PM  

What a beautifull piece !!! I love the stitching and also the frame. What a fabulous job you did.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/26/2006 4:42 PM  

Wow, that looks great!! I LOVE the little extras on the frame too, very cool!

By Blogger Heidi, at 4/28/2006 12:27 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home