In Stitches

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Peppermint Stick Santa


First off I have to say as a disclaimer that I LOVE Birds of a Feather patterns. They are clever and funky and have a folk artsy charm that I have a hard time resisting. But as I'm stitching this latest project I just have to say "What the H???" I have to laugh cuz it is rather funny looking, but in a weird sort of way. I've seen some funky looking Santas in my time, but this guy is just a riot!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


He looks like a referee for the Santa's Flyers hockey team. ;P LOL, LOL After seeing these stripes I am definately NOT putting the zigzag in the bottom part of his suit....it might cause someone to go cross eyed. LOL (Okay that was just evil...but you get the idea.) All in all this is a relatively easy stitch and all kidding aside, I think it will be a fun addition to my holiday decorations. :)

SBQ:

How do you feel about staying totally true to a pattern? Do you feel that you have to rip out stitches to fix a mistake or do you feel it’s acceptable to incorporate a mistake into the design?

Thanks to Renée for posting this question from Lili. I have to totally give credit to Lili for this question, as she thought it up and I only helped her forward it onto Renée. :D

Okay, well as you saw above, I have no problem altering a pattern to suit my own tastes. I don't have a problem changing a pattern's colors or leaving out elements as I see fit. Sometimes parts of a pattern just don't fit w/ the intended finish I have in mind or I just don't like something (like the zigzag or colors). Of course for me I tend to only make these changes on simplified patterns. Complex highly shaded charts would take an immense amount of time and thought to change, so I usually wouldn't make a whole color change on those.

As for incorporating a mistake into a pattern, well for me mistakes are just part of the way I stitch. No matter how hard I try I often find mistakes in my work and usually at a point where ripping it out would be extremely difficult. But sometimes frogging is a necessary evil because some mistakes just can't be incorporated. When working on difficult projects I try to work in small sections so that if I do make a mistake I can get it out fairly quickly. Often it's the small projects that end up w/ a few mis-stitches left in. But I have found that no one but me notices these glitches so it's only an issue if I make it one. :)



3 comment(s):

Kim, I canNOT WAIT to see this Birds of a Feather Santa as it progresses. I think this is my favorite pattern of all their designs! It's just darling! I was going to say that the top part of his suit looks a bit like prison garb, but the overall looks are just tooooo cute!

Like I need more charts and more Santas to do, this one is very tempting. I hadn't seen it anywhere but here.

By Blogger Nancy in IL, at 11/17/2005 3:30 PM  

Well, he definately has personality. I think he will turn out really cute and will make people smile when they see him.

By Blogger Kristen, at 11/17/2005 8:39 PM  

Like you, I adore BOAF designs and this santa is so cool. We should talk about BOAFs sometimes and perhaps do a stitch along. My address is adana69 (at) yahoo.com

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/04/2006 11:03 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home