In Stitches

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Blending

In my opinion, the key to not having this block drive you crazy is BLENDING. LOL I can see that the designer was trying to achieve an interesting texture to the house by having us backstitch over all the yellow stitches that create the house. However, if you are like me (no patience) this method would inevitably drive you mad. So in the interest of preserving my sanity I opted to try blending. I blended the colors of the yellow stitching and blue backstitching and then started stitching away. And I think it looks great! The only downside is obviously doing the actual blending, but that's a minor point. It does slow me down a bit but it's worth it. :D

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I am almost finished with the main part of the house, just a bit at the top then onto shutters, windows and roof. It actually goes quite quickly, and if I didn't blend I'd be breezing through. :D
I am undecided at this point about filling with black. This block is supposed to be filled in at the end, but I'm not sure that I want to. Aside from the obvious work involved, I'm not sure if it will really add anything to this block. I like the idea of the fabric showing through.

Jenna asked to see a pic of the entire fabric. Here it is:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


It definately turned out a lot different than I had anticipated, but since most of the fabric will be covered I don't think that it will be an issue. The color is very complimentary to the colors of the project. I may have a problem with some of the lighter greens but that can be worked around. :D The thing that my mind is not digesting yet is how big this is. This fabric is 22"h x 28"w, in other words IT IS HUGE. LOL I have never worked on something so big, but it's a lot of fun. The wonderful thing about this project is that each square is it's own pattern so it's like starting on something new each time you move to the next one. Only the border is going to be ultra boring and tedious.

I wonder how long this will take to stitch...should be interesting. :D

So is anyone else excited to see the new XMen movie? :D And did anyone watch the season finale of Lost? Lost was definately mind blowing last night...

9 comment(s):

Kim, I love your fabric. It's gorgeous!! And I've also wondered about filling in with the black ... in your case, your fabric is so spectacular, it would be something of a pity to cover it with black. Oh, the blending looks really good!

By Blogger mainely stitching, at 5/25/2006 12:19 PM  

I think it looks great! I like the idea of leavng out the black. It's the only one that is completely filled in (at least that's the way it looks to me), which just makes it look odd to me.
DH and I are going to see X-Men when he gets back this weekend, and I saw Lost last night. Still digesting it. ;)

By Blogger jymisgurl, at 5/25/2006 4:04 PM  

Agree with Barbara regarding the fabric, don't cover it! You can change your mind right at the end anyway!

Blending: my tip; take your six strands, of both colours and fill 6 needles with the blend. Much quicker! It will go so fast, you won't believe it.

Good for you even contemplating this design, I balk at such large projects, I find I get bogged down and they land up being WIPs. My largest project is A4 size. My personal rule!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/26/2006 3:33 AM  

Love Lost, can't wait to see XMen and your HOHRC is looking great!

By Blogger My Life In Stitches, at 5/26/2006 10:20 AM  

I agree with the other opinions; your fabric looks so fantastic, I wouldn't want to cover it up if I were you! I like the way that your blending is turning out. What a time saver! And X-Men III looks great; I can't wait to see some reviews. :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/26/2006 7:25 PM  

I am an X Men fan. Well, I was as a teenager already, as I used my pocket money to buy the French publication... I also loved the Fantastic Four but the movie was yuck, whereas the Xmen movies are yummy! I know the first two by heart! I don't think I will go to the movies to see it, though. I'll probably wait for the DVD, so I can appreciate the images and sound at home. Explanation: when I last went to the movies, that was for Xmen 2, and the copy was so bad that I almost went to ask for refund after ten minutes! My DH had to stop me...
I don't know Lost.
Your project is so big: that would have put me off, the most difficult part being tackling with this great amount of fabric all around... On the other hand, the fact that it is composed of many different houses makes it interesting: constant renewal. Ditto Karen for the background, I think this will add something, but I would leave it for the moment and see how it turns without it... as the fabric definitely is gorgeous!
Hope you had a great week end!
Lots of hugs!

By Blogger Leeland, at 5/27/2006 5:31 AM  

Hi Kim. The blending looks great. I have to get back to HOHRH myself

By Blogger Karen's Blog, at 5/27/2006 6:22 AM  

Ouch. If YOU think it's big and are afraid you won't have the stamina, then I'M certainly not going to attempt HoHRH. I've poured over the chart of House nr. 6 and immediately decided that, if I was ever going to stitch this, I would definitely leave out the dark background, so in my opinion, you've made the right choice! Good luck with the blending!

By Blogger Annemarie, at 5/29/2006 6:31 AM  

ohhh.. love the fabric! its lovely :)

By Blogger Sasha Farina, at 5/29/2006 10:36 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home