In Stitches

Monday, May 22, 2006

Looks Great, But Where's the House?

That's what I kept asking myself all weekend. As I stitched and stitched and stitched some more trying to make progress on HOHRH. LOL, LOL

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


One thing is for sure, that border is PERFECT. It's what took the longest, working to make sure that I didn't miscount it, cuz if it's off the whole rest is off.

Then I set about working on the bottom of this square it's #6. My arm is aching from the effort to fill in that bottom bit. LOL It took forever....though I did manage to get a bit of the door done! The one thing that threw me off when I got to the house was, what is this symbol for supposed to be?? Well, after much frustration and having Greg look at it, we realized that it wasn't a mistake. It's just that after you stitch the whole house you are supposed to go back and backstitch over *every* stitch with a different color alternating the direction to give it some sort of unusual look. Personally...I hate it. So, therefore! I'm changing it! ;) I have decided to combine the two colors, the house color and the back stitch color to give it a blended look. It will be "similar" to the original intent but easier to achieve. So if you are stitching HOHRH pay attention to house #6 (the one with the black background) the color for the house is yellow with backstitching on top of it. For a while I thought the whole thing was done in quarter stitches, imagine how that thrilled me. LOL, LOL A BIG, GI-NORMOUS thanks to Greg for taking the time to *read* and understand the pattern. Trust me, it's easy to miss those backstitching instructions.

You can't really see the total color of the fabric, I need to get it into better light. But it's a green/tan mix that gives the fabric a worn out/moldy look. (Maybe moldy is a bit strong, but you get the idea.) LOL I like it, it goes with the project well. I dyed it especially for this project and it didn't quite turn out the way I had anticipated but it will work. I seem to have problems getting a proper tan color when dyeing. I am going to have to go a step up and get a better type of dye next time I want to get something in this color range.

Anyhoo, not a lot of house to see, but the fence is in and the door is started. I've got an ice pack on my arm (just kidding) and am ready to tackle more! :D

Happy Monday!

7 comment(s):

sounds scary.. the backstitching over every stitch thing LOL. I would change that too :)

By Blogger Sasha Farina, at 5/22/2006 9:57 PM  

I sure approve you on changing the bs part! My god! They're sadistic!
As ever, your hand-dyed fabric is a success! It's all gonna look perfect.
Lots of hugs!

By Blogger Leeland, at 5/23/2006 11:45 AM  

I would really like to see a photo of the whole piece of fabric, if possible. What I can see looks really good! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/23/2006 7:38 PM  

Congratulations on your HOHRH start! I am working this one too, and it is very time consuming. But it is definitely one of those projects that will be worth it - you are off to a great start!

By Blogger Carol, at 5/23/2006 10:28 PM  

Wowser, that's good to know. I started with house one, and it takes forever to get the silly border done. That kind of stitching is so boring. But you've made great progress already!

And your fabric is STUNNING. It's so absolutely perfect.

By Blogger mainely stitching, at 5/24/2006 1:18 PM  

The beginning is looking good :), can't wait to see the progress on this one .

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/24/2006 5:48 PM  

I know what you mean about it being easy to miss those backstitching instructions, because i did it myself! on nov. Quilt, I did some of the back stitch for the Quilt in the wrong color...oops, and BS is such aPAIN to pull out! You almost just want to leave it in once you have it there, mistake and all! ugh! good luck with your new endeavors with HOUSES...seems like quite a challenge!
~Lana~

By Blogger Lana, at 5/25/2006 9:11 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home