In Stitches

Thursday, May 11, 2006

One for the Scrap Books

First let me share with you a beautiful Spring day where I live and an unusual story.















This is the garden right outside the building where I work. The first pic is a view through a luscious green arbor of a dazzling display of rhododendrons. The second pic is a closer view of the flowers. I was just stunned at the colors, just amazing!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


This pic is of a beautiful Mallard duck on the lawn right outside my window. There are a lot of ducks and geese around this area, so it's not unusual to see them. This one however caught my attention 1) cuz it was right outside my window 2) it had it's lady friend with it. It's obvious they were a mating pair and the female looked like she was trying to nest in the ground cover under some big pine trees across the lawn. Even this wouldn't have been so remarkable, except for a story someone told me a couple of weeks ago. We are an agricultural university and as such the students wander around studying the trees and such on the grounds (hence the spectacular flora). One of their notable projects is a rangeland right out the back of this building. They have a little mini prairie growing there and in the Spring they burn it off as part of a range management class. It's always a sight to behold with flames jumping into the sky and the fear that some people's cars might get singed (it's next to the parking lot, but no one's ever been singed). This year as we watched a duck came flying out of the grass just ahead of the burning. The story told later was that the duck came back after the burning and was obviously nesting her destroyed clutch. It was sad to think of her eggs destroyed and then today as I'm watching these two ducks I'm thinking "Hey! This may be the same ducks come back to give it another try." Now that would be quite the thing to have a few ducklings hatched in the side yard. LOL

In other news! I got an email from Lynne Nicoletti that her newest news letter is up. Half way through is a short article and pictures of my projects! She was very sweet to show both my Alice and Oak Island projects. Click here: ALICE and scroll down to see her article.

Take time to read the rest too, she's got some great information on some new DMC threads coming out along with other interesting news. :D

I also got more done on Forever Friends. (Nancy: The designer is La D Da and it's one of their newer patterns. It's an easy stitch and a lot of fun, go ahead and splurge it's worth it! ;D ) I have to say that La D Da is fast becoming one of my favorite designers. :D

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Do you or have you stitched with over-dyed threads? (Weeks Dye Works, The Gentle Art Sampler Threads, Six Strand Sweets, etc.) If so, what is your opinion concerning them? If not, why not?

I wanted to answer this question last week but didn't get a chance. As you can see from the project above I do use a lot of over-dyed threads. I think they are fantastic. I just love them. They are such a change from DMC which I find can be boring at times. I have stitched a lot of projects with them and find that they add an interesting effect. It's not always a variegated effect, but usually more of a distressed or aged look. I realize that some people don't care for this look but for me it works well. I never stitch them the way it's suggested (1 cross at a time) and I like it that way. When I use these I don't want uniformity, I want the uneveness and irregularity. I have read that some people are disappointed that they aren't more variegated, but for many of their threads I have never gotten the impression that (Gentle Art or Weeks) was trying to do a strong variegation, but more of a distressed look.

The only downside is that they do cost a lot more than DMC, 4 times as much for me and that keeps me from using them as much. If there was one recommendation I would have for these thread companies, it would be to find a way to drop their prices. I think a lot more people would be tempted to use them if they were less expensive. But if you haven't tried them and can afford too, I'd highly recommend them. You can use them in conjunction with DMC and achieve a fun look for projects where you want to substitute colors.

Well I've rambled on enough! Hope everyone is having a great week!

11 comment(s):

The photos are lovely. Hopefully it is the same ducks giving nesting another go. Had a look at the newsletter, and its great to see your photos there. Read about the new DMC threads...goody....I love all sorts of threads and it would be nice to get some new ones, to add to my DMC collection. Especially over-dyed ones. Forever friends is looking really good.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/11/2006 7:11 PM  

Ah Ha, Kim! I had just read on your webpage that it was a La-D-Da design, and then I read your blog, where you told me the designer. I agree with you, Kim, in that they are becoming one of my favorite designers. I just love the designs. At first, I think primitive, but then I think they would fit into any decor---eclectic maybe. This will be the 2nd time you enabled me, you know, you naughty girl!

By Blogger Nancy in IL, at 5/11/2006 8:59 PM  

OMG, Kim!!! Congratulations on making Lynne Nicoletti's newsletter!!! How exciting, and your stitching looks great there! I hadn't seen the other one stitched (Oak Island Mystery, which I have & LOVE) I love your personalizations! Oh, I'm so excited for you!

By Blogger Nancy in IL, at 5/11/2006 9:03 PM  

How fortunate to be working in such a wonderful place!
Congrats on having your pics published by Lynne Nicoletti!
And I just love how your La D Da is coming along: lovely!
Have a great weekend! :)

By Blogger Kitty Couture, at 5/12/2006 2:30 AM  

Poor ducks...
Linne Nicoletti sure enjoyed your wonderful work and wants the world to know! You can be very proud of this achievement!
Ditto on variegated threads!
Enjoy your week end!

By Blogger Leeland, at 5/12/2006 10:29 AM  

Fabulous scenery you get to see every day! I hope that you get time to walk amongst that splendor on a regular basis.

LOVE that Lynne put you in her newsletter. One for the scrapbook, indeed! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/12/2006 2:32 PM  

what vibrant colors!! thanks for sharing the pics :)

By Blogger Sasha Farina, at 5/13/2006 12:06 PM  

Oooooh, you're doing the La-D-Da chart!!! It's fabulous. One of my all time favourite designers. I'm thinking of doing 'Rain Rain'. That's also a quick stitch, and quite appropriate since it's pouring down here. And the pictures are of the view from your office window? Not too bad! Poor duckies, though. I hope this is the same couple.

By Blogger Annemarie, at 5/14/2006 2:49 AM  

Oh, I tried to comment last week and it didn't go thru'.

Anyway I said congrats about now being totally famous!! Can I mention your name to my friends? Big name dropper = me!!

I popped over to LN's work, then went to Happy Hobbit to buy all her mail art. I have never done one, but I love the idea!! More stash, so I am not sure whether I should thank you or not, as spending was not part of the plan!!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/15/2006 5:23 AM  

What beautiful photos Kit. I just love Forever Friends. Lovely stitching!!

By Blogger Karen's Blog, at 5/15/2006 5:29 AM  

What gorgeous pics! I love the story of the ducks - we have swans here, which drive off the ducks. I also really enjoyed the link to Lynn's newsletter and seeing your beautiful projects there! (Oh, La-D-Da is one of my personal faves, too - I'm waiting on Love is Little.)

By Blogger mainely stitching, at 5/16/2006 3:09 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home