In Stitches

Friday, August 18, 2006

Taming the Hoop Marks

I got an interesting question from Munchkin about how to remove stubborn hoop marks.

First off, I realize a lot of you probably do not use hoops and might even strongly recommend against their use... That said, I LOVE my hoop. I have tried other methods and just can't get away from the hoop. I especially love my spring hoop, it's the pink one you occasionally see in my pictures. I love it cuz it's easy to move around on the project and doesn't leave really nasty hoop marks.

SO for those of you that do use hoops, here are the things I do to minimize hoop marks and to remove them when finished stitching.

Don't leave the hoop on your project for extended periods of time, i.e., DAYS and DAYS or MONTHS and MONTHS. :D I try to take the hoop off every time I finish stitching for the day. I don't always remember but I do try. This tends to reduce the amount of and depth of the hoop marks.

Removing the marks once the project is finished can be tricky, but there are a couple of methods I use. First, I try just ironing them out. If that works, then YEA I'm finished. If not, it's onto method two, *steaming* them out. This one generally works for me and is easy, just use the steam setting on your iron and a soft cloth. Put your project right side down on the cloth and steam the back. It can take some patience but this method generally works for me.

If steaming doesn't work then I gently wash the project in lukewarm water and then iron dry right side down on a soft cloth. This will definately take out hoop marks and should remove any dirty spots. Personally, I generally don't wash my projects unless I find them to have spots or something on them. I don't travel with my projects and only work on them at home, but it's a personal choice. Now Greg's projects typically always have to be washed. He carries them with him to stitch on at lunch and here and there and so they tend to accumulate a lot of dirt. Fortunately I have only had one "incident" with washing one of his projects and that was because he had used a hand dyed thread that bled out unexpectedly. Which of course led me to be much more careful... LOL

So there you have it, my "unexpert" advise. Basically it's trial and error to find what works best for you. The only thing I will again stress (it was stressed to me early in my stitching career) don't leave the hoop on your project except when stitching. This definately makes it easier to get hoop marks out cuz they aren't as "beat" into the fabric. ;)

If anyone else has suggestions, feel free to comment away. I always hearing what other people have tried. :D

Have a great weekend!

4 comment(s):

I totally agree about using a hoop: the stitches are much neater, and it's easier to go through the fabric with the needle when you use a hoop. I also have marks -mostly because I leave the fabric in the hoop as I hate placing it right inside the hoop, and so on... I use the same methods as you (iron, steam and water), and the marks always leave. In fact, cross stitched projects seem to love our irons!!!...
Same problem with washing projects: the ones that travel gather dirt... I won't mention cat hairs...
Lots of hugs!

By Blogger Leeland, at 8/20/2006 10:58 AM  

wonderful tips there.. I stitch with Qsnap sometime.. the rest.. I just stitch in hand :)

By Blogger Sasha Farina, at 8/20/2006 10:45 PM  

I do the same as you do, actually. And since I switched to a Q-Snap, I have much less problem with stubborn marks.

By Blogger mainely stitching, at 8/22/2006 7:05 AM  

I have never used a hoop. I prefer to work in hand. Hubby uses a hoop for his work. If I could find a hoop that doesn't cause pain in my poor, weak hands I might use them. How are the Q-snaps to work with? Are they heavy?

By Blogger Michelle-ozark crafter, at 8/30/2006 10:09 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home