In Stitches

Friday, September 29, 2006

Mistakes, What Mistakes?

The lastest SBQ posed an interesting question and since I am the queen of mistakes Let's address it, shall we. :)

When you find yourself making a lot of mistakes in various stitching projects do you find it better to muddle your way through or do you take a brief break from stitching? If you do take a break, how long do you take?

Depending on 'when' I find the mistakes determines what my course of action will be.

IF:

I find it before I've gotten too far along, I curse, rip it out and re-stitch.

I find it when well into the project, I curse, decide there's nothing I can do and keep stitching.

I find that it's messed up the project beyond repair, I curse, condemn myself for ever starting that *bleeping* project in the first place and then throw it out. No I am not kidding. The length of each stage (i.e., cursing and condemnation) depends on how much effort I've put into the project. Fortunately, this has only happened with a couple of projects.

As you can see there is a recurring pattern of a lot of cursing when I am stitching, this is a release for me and should never be taken personally by anyone in the vicinity (i.e., Greg or the cat). :D

Typically when I realize there is a problem I muddle through trying to find the mistake, it's just easier. If I leave it and come back I will have a mental block...problem, what problem...nope no problems here. :D

Mostly I just incorporate the problem stitches into the project, I've gotten good at covering my mistakes. The thing is, that while I love stitching. Stitching does not necessarily love me, I am one of those people that likes to do 5 things at one time. (only a slight exaggeration). If I'm stitching then I either watch tv (lots of channel surfing), listen to music, bug the cat and plan what I'm doing the next day, etc. Yes, I'm slightly ADD, which is so much fun at work. (kidding, I'm kidding)

Sadly this behavior and stitching are not necessarily compatible which is why I make mistakes. I've learned to accept this limitation, as I can't live without the other distractions. I've tried stitching in a quiet room and it drives me NUTS. LOL

You might wonder why I even bother stitching, well it's busy work and I like keeping my fingers busy. Plus I enjoy the finished products. It's also an opportunity to fine tune my cursing. ;D (that was a joke in case you wondered) So I'm definately a muddler, which is good cuz you can find a lot of mistakes during commercial breaks. LOL, LOL (that was another joke) ;)

Here is my latest progress on block 4. My only disappointment was I thought the colors would be a bit darker. But it's looking good. As soon as I finish I will show you the next projects I'm going to work on. They are in an African theme which fits the place I work for and I hope my co-workers will love their gifts. :D

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


It will be so nice knowing that I only have four blocks to finish after this. This is the longest project I've ever worked on and I will NEVER do one like this again. One thing I have learned is that I definately do better with short term projects. I can take a month or two, but six? :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

5 comment(s):

Kim,
You are the funniest Blogger I know...I laugh my head off everytime I read your Blogs. I think it is because I *think* like you.
;O)

By Blogger Vonna Pfeiffer, at 9/29/2006 4:58 PM  

It's gorgeous (your latest block). :)

By Blogger mainely stitching, at 10/02/2006 3:30 AM  

Six months? *I* think you're flying on this one.

By Blogger Anna van Schurman, at 10/02/2006 1:55 PM  

Reading your entry today makes me wonder if you have, perchance, taken up lodgings inside my head. Jula often wonders why I stitch if it always results in such bouts of deep unhappiness. Explaining to her that my cursing is not a sign of unhappiness has proved useless until now.
Love the House. Nearly ther!

By Blogger Annemarie, at 10/03/2006 5:54 AM  

I stitch almost exactly the same way you do.....with 80 zillion things running through my head at the same time! I make up for it by thinking about stitching when I'm doing other things. hehehe

I told myself when I finished Once Upon a Time - 2 YEARS after I started it - that I would stick to smaller projects for a while. Then I started Mermaids of the Deep Blue. I never learn...

By Blogger Erin, at 10/03/2006 9:04 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home