In Stitches

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Framed!

I finally finished up the frame for the HOHRH project, the one that I've been keeping a secret. Well....I highly debated whether to continue keeping it forever. I hate to admit it, but I'm just not happy with how this one turned out. First off it's HUGE, nearly 3feet tall and secondly I think that it detracts from the project. Now keep in mind these are my opinions and everyone I've shown this too thinks it looks great. BUT I'm not satisified and so though the project rests in this frame for now I am on the hunt for something that will make me happy and hopefully do the project justice. ;)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


It's perfectly fine if you disagree with me and think that this looks great...or even if you think it sucks. But I just wanted to share this because sometimes the best idea, just isn't. ;)

19 comment(s):

Oh gosh, and I'm the first one to comment too... When I looked at it first I thought it was cute, but then I read your post, and I sort of agree with you. It's a lovely frame (it's a GREAT frame!) and it's a great, wonderful, amazing project, but perhaps the two together is a bit too much greatness? Anyway, there's no harm in looking further and keeping it here untill you do. And who knows, maybe you will get to like it!

By Blogger Annemarie, at 2/06/2007 4:02 PM  

Kim, you're a loon! I think it's utterly fabulous. But you're the one who'll look at it daily so of course you have to settle on something that you really like.

:)

By Blogger mainely stitching, at 2/06/2007 4:07 PM  

Let's see.... we look at the picture, the first thing you see is the frame (especially if it's big), then you say "youhou ! houses int he house!" and you spend the rest of your time (hours?) detailling the stitched houses. So to your first question, the big frame attracts the eye, that then stays ont he stitching.

But I can imagine how big the whole thing is, and how it might not fit in your house decor... I know it would be weird in mine !!!!

But you got a great frame idea, it would be a shame to destrooy it !!!

By Blogger AngelSan, at 2/06/2007 4:44 PM  

Kim, I sincerely like it, but I do think, like you that the showcase - which is your fabulous stitching - is detracted by the frame ...It's one cute frame tho' and I imagine it took you quite awhile to get it made and worked out...so you'll have to be the big decision maker on the end...I really do think it's fabulous tho'
:)

By Blogger Vonna Pfeiffer, at 2/06/2007 5:14 PM  

Kim, my DH just looked at it...he LOVES it!
Just thought you should know :)

By Blogger Vonna Pfeiffer, at 2/06/2007 5:15 PM  

I think the frame looks amazing! But I can understand that it is a big piece and may not be suitable long term. But I really do like it. :)

By Blogger Karen, at 2/06/2007 7:36 PM  

I love the frame, and like it with the project. However, I think maybe the color of the frame is a bit much. The color is such a contrast, it pulls your eye away from the stitching. Maybe a more neutral color would accomplish what you were trying to do. Very neat idea though.
Sue

By Blogger stitcherw, at 2/06/2007 9:20 PM  

What a unique frame - I like it!!!!

By Blogger Carol, at 2/06/2007 10:43 PM  

Well, it's a wonderful frame, but I have to agree with you: it distracts the eye from your stitching... And it's quite a pity, isn't it?
Now, San is right: I think I would react like that in front of it.
In itself, this frame is fab, so I hope you will find something adequate to display it, though...
Take care!

By Blogger Leeland, at 2/07/2007 3:31 AM  

I thought about what you wrote and maybe it's the colour of your frame, not the frame in itself...because the frame has this beautiful bordeaux colour, de pictures in your stitched house migth look a bit "pale". Perhaps if you went for the dark blue grey that you find in the background of one of the houses that you've stitched, the colours in your stitched project migth come out better. Oherwise, the idea and the house in itself look great! Ann.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/07/2007 5:00 AM  

The frame is beautiful on its own, but you are right, I'm not sure it fits so well with the style of the houses.
Personally, I'd use a frame like that for pictures...
In itself, you did a fabulous job with it though!! I agree with Annemarie's comment: "perhaps the two together is a bit too much greatness?"

Ann's remark really makes a point too.

By Blogger Kitty Couture, at 2/07/2007 6:20 AM  

That is the coolest frame that I have ever seen! That said, I do agree with you. After all of the work that you put into that huge piece, I think it deserves to stand out on its own. Sue and Ann's suggestions of changing the color of the frame (if that's even possible) might be the answer. Otherwise, it would make a great frame for a collage of all of your and your DH's school pictures when you were growing up! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/07/2007 3:37 PM  

While it is a pretty frame, I agree it does take away from the project some.

By Blogger Michelle-ozark crafter, at 2/07/2007 5:58 PM  

My opinion, how about you take the red of the frame and sponge it to sort of match the fabric? That will tone it down and make it more part of the picture than competing with it?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/08/2007 1:04 AM  

I love the frame and I love the piece, but I'm not sure that I like them together. There's so much to see in each of the squares, and I think the house frame detracts from the piece. (man, I feel funny writing this) Framing, like art, is a personal choice - and my personal choice is simple on this one.

By Blogger tweezle, at 2/08/2007 12:59 PM  

mmm...I think the frame takes away the attention from your gorgeous piece

By Blogger Carla, at 2/08/2007 6:01 PM  

Hi from Japan!
Kim, you know I just have decided to join Houses Of... since I've seen your project is wonderful!!
And the frame looks great, except the size is big.
But I like it! and I like the cloth you've chosen for this project!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/08/2007 7:14 PM  

I think it looks fabulous!

By Blogger Rowyn, at 2/09/2007 6:40 PM  

I also love the frame but think it overwhelms the stitching. Both frame and stitching are beautiful...but not together. Im sure a crafty person like you will find a solution.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/12/2007 12:50 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home