In Stitches

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Finding the Inspiration

I haven't gotten as much done as I would like but here's the latest updates.

Healing Hands is coming along nicely, although the border is going to take a bit of time.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The backstitching really helped this one and the gold thread looks great. :D But I've never been a border fan and this one really needs it so I'm stitching it but it's slow going.

Here is a pic of Greg's Evangeline. I love this project.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


We were tormenting...I mean "playing" with the cat the other night and I got this shot of her. We put some Valerian root (similar to catnip) on her favorite toy and gave it to her, she went bonkers. LOL

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


She has her front paws wrapped tightly around her toy and look closely at her back toes they are splayed stiffly out, this means she is in cat ecstasy...her favorite spot on the bed, her favorite toy and some catnip, what else could a cat ask for? LOL

Now about finding the inspiration. After my last post a couple of you asked if I do my own framing and mentioned how I seem to frame so closely after finishing a project. First, yes I do all my own framing, no I don't use glass. I use plexi-glass or plastic. I get it custom cut at the local hardware store if I can't buy it pre-sized. It's cheaper and less prone to breakage than glass.

Finishing a project to me is the last step in a project. I don't start a project unless I have a finish for it in mind. Every project is planned out from the time I pick it up. I may not have the exact frame or fabric for the finish but I always know what I want to happen with it. That's why the house's frame was such a disappointment. I had planned that frame all along and then it just didn't turn out the way I wanted it too. SO I had to come up with a backup plan and it worked out but I would have been happier with Plan A.

I have a large collection of frames that we have picked up here and there during sales, but we also look for the unusual at flea markets and thrift shops. The frame that I used for my coffee project had a pre-made piece of art in it that was on a steep discount. I bought it popped out the art that I didn't want and put in my project. If you think outside the box you can find framing solutions just about anywhere.

I have found that framing is not that difficult and I am too cheap to want to pay a professional framer to do something I can do myself. Of course in my case I'm lucky to have a spouse that can cut mats for me, but I'm sure you could get the mats cut professionally a lot cheaper than having them do the whole job.

Also there are lots of ways to finish a project besides framing and most all of you have made some adorable pillows, needle holders or pin cushions out of your projects. Bottom line is don't be afraid to try framing it's not that difficult and you can find frames that are just as wonderful as the professionals use if you look around in unusual places!

Have a great week!

7 comment(s):

I'm not a big fan of borders either. You have my sympathy. The main part of the piece is great - those wings are beautiful! And Greg's project is coming along SO fast!!

I frame my own small projects. But yours are so unique - I just love how you bring it all together so perfectly!

By Blogger mainely stitching, at 3/14/2007 4:03 PM  

You do lovely work and it always shows with each finished piece :)

Now about framing do you stretch and pin it? Do you lash it?
I'm very interested in doing my own framing and I've done small projects w/o glass...but never large projects :)

By Blogger Vonna Pfeiffer, at 3/14/2007 4:36 PM  

You got a great start on healing hands, and Evangeline is looking lovely as well. The colors in both are gorgeous.

I frame most of my projects myself, unless it is larger and more detailed and I want a more special finish than what I can do. Like you, I've also found preframed art where I popped out the picture that was there and used the frame, and times the mat it had around the picture as well. It works great, and many times they are on sale (or I have a discount coupon) so it is very reasonable too.
Sue

By Blogger stitcherw, at 3/14/2007 7:08 PM  

Wow, Healing Hands looks lovely - as does Evangeline!

By Blogger Carol, at 3/15/2007 8:31 AM  

Borders can be such a pain but are usually worth it! Evangaline is looking good too. Poor kitty! You guys are as bad as we are at tormenting our baby! (min pin not cat)

By Blogger Michelle-ozark crafter, at 3/15/2007 3:46 PM  

Lovely pics! Jesse's a cutie...
Evangeline's hair do make her look great already!
You're quite a crafty person: self framing, self fabric dyeing... with great results. Yes, this is an encouragement...
Hugs to you two!
Lili

By Blogger Leeland, at 3/19/2007 12:24 PM  

Healing Hands is coming along really well. I like that you've done some of the backstitching already. It gives it nice definition. Greg's doing a great job on Evangeline, as always. :)

Very interesting to hear how you handle framing and finishing. I'm jealous that you don't start a project without the end result in mind. Brava!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/20/2007 9:29 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home