In Stitches

Thursday, May 24, 2007

I Survived Senegal and I Have the T-Shirt to Prove It

UPDATE: For those of you that couldn't see the slideshow, I hope that I fixed it, let me know if not. :D Thanks!

LOL, okay maybe no t-shirt (those things are expensive over there), but I do have slide shows courtesy of Photobucket. So let's see if they work.



Okay it seems to work...so this first one is Dakar from the 15th floor of our decidely worn out hotel. It could've done with a major makeover as we had no air conditioning (it was there but did not work) and no hot water. Apparently we were too high up for the hot water to reach us...hey it's not the U.S. so what can I say? Let's just say that cold showers are not so great when you are half asleep. LOL - Okay also in this set are pics of GoureƩ island. Apparently this is where the slave traders used to take slaves to be transported to Europe, America, etc. It's actually very beautiful and stunningly visual. Unfortunately the museums were closed while we were there.



Next is more GoureƩ and the beginning of our trip to Saly, Senegal which is a resort area. The traffic in Dakar is mind blowing and not for the faint of heart. I made the mistake of sitting in the *front* of the bus. I didn't make that mistake on the way back. ;)



Sorry about all the different slide shows, Photobucket would only let me put so many pics per show. You will notice some pics of poultry included, I took these at the poultry farms we visited. Very interesting, but nothing like the U.S. See the box of chicks, well I made the mistake of saying the first thought in my head "Oh look chicken nuggets" The U.S. poultry scientist with us laughed, but said "Oh, that's just so wrong." LOL Yes I'm twisted. --- Finally we reached Saly. Which was like suddenly entering the tropics. I have never been to Hawaii, but was told it had a similar feel to it. Stunning is all I can say and a weird 180 from Dakar. And, bonus, wonderful air conditioning and HOT water. LOL



Final pics of Saly. One night we ate dinner on the beach which was interesting and scary, cuz they have nasty malaria ridden mosquitos, but I was lucky and only saw one the whole time and it met with an unfortunate accident involving my hand and the bathroom mirror. LOL They served a lot of fresh fish and that night they had sea urchins which someone at my table was eating. Let's just say that I passed and had dessert instead. LOL

Interesting trip, wouldn't want to do the airplane ride again unless I was business class. If you have claustrophobia don't go, save yourself. LOL And according to my colleagues this was an easy flight. Yeah, if they say so. LOL

Hope everyone is well and having a great week!

10 comment(s):

I can't see the pictures. :( But reading about your experiences is interesting. Chicken nuggets, indeed! LOL. Welcome home again!

By Blogger mainely stitching, at 5/24/2007 4:00 PM  

Oh, these pictures are fabulous, Kim! To imagine that you've been there! I was particularly taken with the Hawai-resembling area, but I suppose you were too :o)
Glad you had a safe trip, but sorry it was uncomfortable.

By Blogger Annemarie, at 5/24/2007 5:05 PM  

faaabulous !
It looks like you went on holiday instead of work !!! lol !

By Blogger AngelSan, at 5/25/2007 1:27 AM  

Wow, what an amazing trip you had. Loved looking at the photos.

By Blogger Rowyn, at 5/25/2007 2:20 AM  

Thanks for the update. Good to see you are back. Ann.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/25/2007 2:53 AM  

Glad you're back! Thanks for posting photos :)

By Blogger Carla, at 5/25/2007 9:51 AM  

The pics are awesome! Welcome home by the way!

By Blogger Michelle-ozark crafter, at 5/25/2007 5:57 PM  

Great pics! :) Sounds like you had a nice (and interesting!) trip.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/26/2007 4:37 PM  

Your pictures were wonderful, what a colorful place to visit. Glad you had a safe trip. Hopefully you had this Monday off so that you could rest up a little more and catch up on things here.
Sue

By Blogger stitcherw, at 5/28/2007 10:48 AM  

I just finally took the time to sit down and properly spend time with this post. Sounds like you had a really interesting time. A great life experience to chalk up. :)

By Blogger Jenna, at 6/26/2007 6:40 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home